by Ray Keating
July 25, 2019
Writing for Forbes.com, Christian Sylt serves up an excellent piece on what Disney is looking for in its Disneyland Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge cast members, as well as what the company offers beyond a paycheck.
Here are four quick points from Sylt’s article:
• “To operate Galaxy’s Edge, Disneyland created 1,600 new positions for employees who are known as Cast Members due to the role they play in a themed environment. Galaxy’s Edge is one of the most intricate that Disney has ever produced.”
• “In Galaxy’s Edge Cast Members can mix and match parts of their costumes so they look more like actual inhabitants. Adding to the sense of immersion, they can even take sides with some being members of the heroic Resistance whilst others are in the villainous First Order or are double-dealing smugglers.”
• Kappy Thorsen, General Manager of Disneyland Park North Operations, was quoted: “All of Disneyland Park is rooted in deep story, but with Galaxy’s Edge, we are encouraging our Cast to take it to the next level. We’ve taught our Cast Members immersive back stories, living as Batuuans working in Black Spire Outpost. They have choices and get to decide how they feel about the about the Resistance, First Order and smugglers. Cast build their Batuuan story to engage with guests. We know our visitors are going to come prepared with their preferred affiliations and our Cast are ready to play Star Wars with them. This land offers the Cast an incredible opportunity to transport our guests to the planet of Batuu.”
• “Thorsen knows exactly what it takes to cast this spell and says ‘if you enjoy people, like to be challenged, enjoy versatility, storytelling and having fun we have a job for you.’ She explains that she looks for ‘Cast Members with a passion for the guest experience, friendliness, flexibility, confidence in problem solving, caring and working well in a team environment.’”
There’s more to the story – read the full piece here.
Ray Keating is the editor, publisher and economist for DisneyBizJournal.com, and author of the Pastor Stephen Grant novels. He can be contacted at email@example.com.
If you enjoyed this article, and since I am the author of the Pastor Stephen Grant novels and short stories, can I ask you to take at least one (preferably more) of the following steps?
1) The new Pastor Stephen Grant novel – DEEP ROUGH – has arrived! You can order the Kindle edition, the paperback, or the signed book.
2) Please join the Pastor Stephen Grant novels and short stories email list, and get the upcoming short story, THE TRAITOR, for free! Sign up here.
3) Buy one of the other Pastor Stephen Grant novels or short stories at Amazon.comor signed books at www.raykeatingonline.com.
4) Become a member of the Pastor Stephen Grant Fellowship, and get all kinds of FREE stuff, including each new book in the Pastor Stephen Grant series. Check out the levels and benefits here.