Welcome to DisneyBizJournal.com - News, Analysis and Reviews of the Disney Entertainment Business!

Brought to fans, investors, entrepreneurs, executives, teachers, professors, and students by columnist, economist, novelist, reviewer, podcaster, business reporter and speaker Ray Keating

Monday, September 7, 2020

“Chadwick Boseman — A Tribute for a King” Moves to Disney+

by Beth Keating
Commentary/Review
DisneyBizJournal.com
September 7, 2020

I’ve always been a fan of hero movies, whether they come in the form of hero quests such as Lord of the Rings, or the kind that come packaged as “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.” It’s a good thing, since I live in a household of humans of the male variety. I have years of Halloween costumes representing half a dozen different forms of Batman, as well as a myriad of pint-sized Avengers costumes. Occasionally, the kids would dress in complementing pairs, such as Batman and Robin. A few times, we sent two different iterations of Batman out in the neighborhood side by side.


So, when a number of folks recommended watching the special that ABC created after Black Panther actor Chadwick Boseman’s untimely death, I tried to tune in. I had missed it in its original airing on August 30 on ABC, but was assured it had moved to Disney+. I pulled up Disney+, and settled back to watch the 40-minute tribute. Hosted by Robin Roberts, the special edition of 20/20 offered tributes from celebs and fans, and looked back at Boseman’s career and legacy. Boseman passed away on August 28 at just 43 years old, following a four-year battle with colon cancer.

But I couldn’t find the episode.  It wasn’t on any of the “Originals,” “Trending,” “Documentaries,” or “New to Disney+” menus up front. I tried putting the actual title of the show into the search bar, and it told me “No results found for ‘Chadwick Boseman — A Tribute for a King’.” I entered “Chadwick Boseman” and the titles of four marvel movies came up, but not the 20/20 special. I even put in “Black Panther” and only the movie itself showed up. 

Now, I am not known for my technological prowess in our home, but I figured it shouldn’t be this hard. I thought maybe it hadn’t started airing on Disney+ yet, but a quick Google search assured me it had been added, and was still airing. So back to the menus I went.

At long last, I found it. And in case you are interested too, let me share how to locate the special. First, find the Black Panther movie, then hit the “extras” menu. There you will find not only the ABC tribute special, but a trailer for the Black Panther movie; an audio commentary version; and several one minute featurettes, including “Come to Wakanda – After.” 

While playing T’Challa, the king of Wakanda, may have been one of the roles Chadwick Boseman was most recognized for, he had a twenty-plus-year career that showed his tremendous range as an actor. “Chadwick Boseman — A Tribute for a King” is a tug-at-the-heartstrings farewell to a talented performer whose on screen roles were just one part of a life that touched so many others.
__________

Beth Keating is a regular contributor to DisneyBizJournal.

No comments:

Post a Comment